Choose This Instead of That – 6 Healthier Alternatives To Your Favourite Foods
I know it, you know, we all know it – the options are infinite when it comes to food products. From different types of yogurts and their fat percentage, to whole-wheat, multigrain or low fat bread, and don´t even get me started on the various types of cheese... there's always an alternative version. But nonetheless, it's important to know which options are healthier if you are trying to have a more balanced diet. That’s why I have put together a list of 6 popular food items and a healthier option: believe or not, these small changes are the ones that make up the difference!
1. Milk vs Greek Yogurt: Yogurt, specially the Greek type, is a great alternative to cow milk as it has more protein per portion. It also may have lower quantities of sugar and fats if you choose the right type. And to make things better, yogurt is thicker than milk, so it makes a perfect fit if you wanna make smoothies with it!
2. Whole-Wheat vs Multi-Grain Bread: Both of there are better than white bread, but always try to go for the multi-grain version. The fiber content is higher which will not only make you feel fuller for longer, but it will also help with your digestive system and mineral absorption.
3. Fruits vs Fruits: ALL fruits are good for you; they provide nutrients like carbs, vitamins and minerals that your body needs. The difference between them is the sugar content that you can find. So if your goal is to lose some weight, or you're trying to keep an eye on the sugar you eat, then limit (but do not exclude) fruits such as bananas and oranges to twice a week. As an alternative, go for fruits with a higher water content like berries, watermelon and pineapple.
4. Meats vs Legumes: Wanna take a break from meats but don’t wanna alter your protein intake? Then go for legumes like lentils, chickpeas and beans which are high in vegetable protein, fiber and minerals. Just remember to combine them with some cereal like brown rice to ensure a better absorption.
5. Cheese vs Real Cheese: Stay away from the yellow-highly processed “wanna be cheese” and stick to the real deal! Fetta, cottage, ricotta, Swiss and even parmesan cheese are better options since they contain more protein per portion and less sodium and other additives that are not that great for you.
6. Cured/Processed Meats vs Lean Meat: Your typical ham, salami, chorizo and so on have additivies called nitrates that have been linked with the development of certain cancers. So if you wanna eat meats, it’s always better to go for the lean type. Fish, turkey and chicken breast, and even red meat are better options that highly processed meats. Plus they have less fat, sodium and food additives!
I hope this helps you next time you go grocery shopping! Remember: it's all about the smarter and healthier options... So make sure you choose "this" instead of "that" to safeguard a more healthy and balanced diet!
* Image source: Getty images